So, I can figure out how to repair the physical damage. No problem, well some work and worry, but that was just plain old workshop fun. Now I had to repair a trashed finish.
OK, so maybe not that drastic. It's not that incredible of an antique and I'm not going to submit the thing to a museum. It's a good piece of furniture for our home, I keep my underwear in it's drawers and I want it to be A: usable and B: decent looking. So I decided to give a go at it and see where the refinishing process took me.
I tried to choose a stain that would be reminiscent of the original finish with a reddish tone, but I also wanted something a bit darker, hopefully that would blend and cover over areas that hadn't "stripped" as well. (stripped for lack of a better word) It comes out very chocolate brown in the pictures but there is a red tone underneath that I like very much.
|The dresser top turned out extremely beautiful. On the right is the mirror.|
But until that happens, this is it for this project.
Up next, something a little more . . . traditional.
Ratione et Passionis