Sunday, September 12, 2010
Wrap Up on the Saw Till
Well she's done, and hanging, and dutifully and lovingly cradling my saws in her pine bosom, right next to her heartwood. . . ahhemmm sorry about that.
So here we go with my follow up on the project. Today I rubbed the finish into the drawer, put the whole thing together, took some pictures and hung it on the wall. If you haven't seen the rest of this build you can find all the posts on the saw till build gathered under this link (CLICK HERE)
Bad Axe Tool Works and Christmas already) I really like that it holds my saw vise and gets it out of sitting in a cabinet or under my workbench. I was always a little paranoid about doing something to make it hit the floor of the shop and seeing the cast iron crack. Now my paranoia is put to rest. (At least in this case)
I experimented a bit with a new type of finish. This was actually the first time I did any mixing of finishes. Around the time I was starting this project I read an old article by Sam Maloof about shaping the arms of chairs. In it he also mentioned the three part finish he liked to use. So I started to do a little research into this specific finish and found several versions and recipes out there. I didn't follow one specific recipe from anyone I went to the store to find the most availible products that were in approximation to what Mr. Maloof mentioned. This is what I settled on.
There was one more "experiment" I used on this project. I recently made one of my two to three times a year pilgrimages to Madison and the closest woodcraft store. This trip I only had one specific item I wanted to pick up (though I treated myself to one other thing, but you'll hear more about that in the future.) A bottle of hide glue is what I had my yes on.