We were in and out of the house today so there was no sustained time to sit down and continue cleaning parts for the Stanley Miter Box I started rehabbing. Our interrupted pattern did allow me to space out some coats of paint on the base.
Just as a reminder, here's where we started,
Here's the base after scrubbing off the rust, stain, and grime.
And here it is with the paint applied.
I laid down a couple coats of black lacquer spray paint throughout the day. I'm not sure how the original looked when it rolled into stores but I just didn't like the look with the stamped numbers the same homogeneous black as the background. On one of our last trips around town we were supposed to stop and pick up a different color spray lacquer for the back wall. I decided to add another stop to a hobby and craft store.
I like enamel model paints for several things. I've even been known to use them to dress up hardware and get things to blend or color match. I was thinking I would pick up a red to carefully paint on the numbers and get them to stand out. Instead of grabbing to go I stopped and surveyed the colors. Eventually I decided the "Flat Steel" paint would match very close to what the original color of the back wall may have been.
There were four on the shelf, I bought all four just to make sure I had enough.
After all the coats were finished on the back wall and I'd gone over the stamped numbers with a detail brush I'd used a grand total of one half of one jar.
Now I have to decide if it's worth my time to return this massive amount of paint back to the store.
Ratione et Passionis.