If you want to catch up on where we are in the process you can read the previous post HERE.
|At any rate, here we are with two arms of the "English Layout Square" glued up, it's been removed from the clamps and had the squeeze out cleaned up.|
|I then used the router plane to clear out the waste. I dropped the depth setting three seperate times. The first time taking half the thickness, the second time taking half of what was left and the last pass at the deepest setting.|
|Now it was time to cut the details into the cross piece. I started by marking them out on the board and making some basic 90 degree cuts where they were called for|
|Then I used the bandsaw to excavate the thinner space between the details. I cleaned up the saw marks with a wide chisel held tight and flat against the edges.|
|Then it was just a matter of finishing off the ogee details using a little coping saw, a chisel, and some rasps and sandpaper.|
|Here is the square, I think this is dry fit, just before glue up, but I did leave those "wings" hanging out there until the clamps came off and the glue was set up. Then I trimmed them flush with a pull saw.|
|I was very happy with what I had going here, but as I looked at it hanging on the tool rack, (I have not made a home for it yet) I couldn't help but feel like I needed to add something more.|